Search & Win

Monday, October 25, 2010

More running.. some with a weighted vest .. some without... boy this is getting interesting.

So I caved and bought a weighted vest. Just a 20lb one, adjustable though down to 5 lbs. But lets face it, I am way too lazy to adjust it down to 5 lbs, so it shall stay at 20 lbs. The first few days, I just walked with it on. Roughly a mile each day at a pace of about 3 mph. I really didn't want to push it and get hurt. So I slowly worked into it. Then I decided I would lightly jog in it. I jogged a mile in 12 minutes with it on. I thought this was mildly impressive, however I was not pushing it. The vest is as tight as it goes, however is still a lil loose on me. So when I run it kind of moves around, making it a bit more difficult to run. So now 3 or 4 times a week, I run a mile with the vest on. I will also just wear it around the house when I am cleaning and such as it tends to add a bit resistance and has helped build some strength.

Also, in randomness, I have realized I never really timed myself running a 5k. I usually just run for a time and report back my distance. So yesterday I decided to run a 5k and see my time. It was 30 minutes and 47 seconds. I was okay with this, however had a few holdups. I couldn't really find my rhythm and settle into the run. For that reason, I decided to redo the run today. Slightly different route, however same distance 5k. I managed to run it today in 29 minutes and 45 seconds.

I am also possibly planning on registering for a 5k jingle bell run on 12/04. I am kind of waiting to see how cold it is going to be. Due to asthma, extreme cold conditions suck, however if it is "decent" out, I will be running. I can't wait!...

No comments:

Post a Comment