Search & Win

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Update and future goals....

So the hamstring is healed.. the shin is still bruised from my lil mishap on vacation, however the effect on running is somewhat minimal.

I have started doing a week of shorter runs twice a day then a week of longer runs. Usually Saturday and Sunday I have off, but it depends on how many runs I get in for the week. On the shorter run weeks, I will run 20 minutes before work and 20 minutes after work. For now this is equating to about 2 miles. However I am working on speed and hoping this will increase slightly over time. On the longer run weeks, I run for 45 to 60 minutes after work. These runs are all over the place as far as distance. I haven't quite got the stamina or endurance in my legs to really make these runs consistent. But I am slowly working to getting better on that. Sometimes on the longer run weeks, I will take Wednesday off to recover. My ultimate goal is to be able to run the 5k in 26.5 minutes. That is roughly at a pace of 7 miles per hour. I am slowly working towards that. My one mile pace the other day was 8.37 minutes. So I still have a ways to go, but it makes a nice long term goal.

My friend is trying to convince me to run in the mini marathon (half marathon) in Indianapolis in May. He is saying he will run with me (however has yet to get serious about running). It interests me, however I am not sure my legs can actually hold up for that many miles. I am going to continue to run and see how much progress I can make in another month. Registration is not for awhile, so the decision is not needed right away. This would be a great goal, but I don't want to get too crazy either.

This cooler weather has really helped me with the running. I can breathe. After running two miles at a 10 minute per mile pace, it takes me just a minute to calm back to regular breathing. My resting heart rate (taken mid day) has been between 71 and 76. I still need to get a way to take it first thing in the morning. The heart rate monitor chest strap I ordered has been on back order, so I am still waiting on that. Once I get that, I will more accurately track my heart rate. I would love for my resting heart rate to be mid 60's. It will be a marked improvement and the low end of normal.

Well I think that is it for now. I will likely just update once a week or so. I am constantly changing/improving my workout schedule to what works and what will help me improve.

No comments:

Post a Comment