Search & Win

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Redo of W1D3 ~ Trial and Pondering weight loss...

Okay, so I got to thinking I have hurt/tweaked my knee a few times in the last couple weeks of working out. They are always the longer runs. Though I have horrible knees, they weren't really a problem early on. So I decided to take to the streets and redo W1D3 to see how the knee felt. I remember the workout was easier for me (granted it wasn't a walk in the park, but it didn't kill me like those 25 minute runs are threatening to do.. hehe). So anyway, I set out this morning. The knee still wasn't in fine shape, but I was getting antsy. I managed to make it through the full workout with no increase in pain or stiffness. Matter of fact after the warm up walk and the first run it actually loosened up. Since this was a bit less demanding of a workout, I paid close attention to my stride. I have theorized that I get "lazy" during the longer runs and often mis-step causing me to tweak the knee. I have always been a toe-runner... never matter the distance, I always ran on my toes. I managed to cover a distance of roughly 2.4 miles. I wasn't pushing myself too much on the runs, I was really concentrating on stepping/landing correctly. I plan on walking around town for 30 minutes tomorrow before work. I want to at least be moving each day.... Will have to update on how the knee feels tomorrow. I may go back and redo a few weeks to build up some stamina in my legs (ie run right, land right..).

Now in other ponderings, since I have been so dormant this week. I was pondering exactly what it took to loose weight. 1 pound is 3500 calories. Almost all websites say to loose 2 lbs a week, you need to have a deficit of 1000 calories a day. Whether this is obtained by working out and burning 1000 more calories than you consume or consuming 1000 less calories (this is kind of relative though... as 1000 less than what?? guessing your standard consumption). Since my daily diet (though I totally don't stick to this allll the time.. beer and wings kill me) is around 1000 calories a day, I would need to workout and burn 2000 calories a day to hit the 2 lbs a week mark (1000 for what I consumed and the additional 1000 to actually loose the weight). In theory, you shouldn't consume under 1000 calories a day because then your body will go into starvation mode and just "store" all the calories. So I can't create a deficit there. So working out is the only avenue. Now I was wondering how many calories do you burn just throughout your day doing normal things. For example, I get up, shower, get out the door to work, have about a 10 minute walk to my desk, throughout the day I will have a few 10 minute walks, then I walk back to the car, and home. Once home, I pick up around the house (depending on the day would determine the activity), etc. So these activities while not high calorie burning activities, are still burning a few calories. Heck just sitting at your desk you are typically burning something....

So this makes me wonder out of my 2000 calories a day I need to burn, how many of those do I burn on average just doing my daily stuff?

I know from working out I am easily burning 500 calories. I don't have a heart rate monitor so this estimate I know is on the low side. The elliptical if I am on it for about 30 minutes reads around 300 to 350. Then I do crunches and light weights. And finally of an evening I walk the dogs for about 15 minutes. So I am easily treading around 500. Granted to hit 2000 I really gotta increase this, but by how much if I include the daily activities??

1 comment:

  1. hope your knee is holding up - injuries are so frustrating aren't they?

    As for the calories in v out. I really have no idea - I've gone the weight watchers way, I find I don't have to think so much, I just eat my points for the day. Week to week I'm not losing a whole lot, but over a month I'm losing about 2kg (about 4 lb). I've decided to be happy with that, seeing the slower it comes off the more likely it is to stay off. Or that's what I'm telling myself anyway!

    ReplyDelete